Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Antonio Inoki SakabaBar and Grill

Recently, I was invited by the staff at my job to go out for a little drinking. They have been working hard recently and wanted to get a little drunk and blow off some steam. Well, it is always nice to get out with co-workers with so I agreed. They decided to meet up in Ikebukuro after everyone was finished; they usually finish after me due to their heavy work load. My fellow teacher Hamed was also attending so I looked forward to the outing. I have recently only started exploring Ikebukuro so this was a good chance to discover a new place. They took me to something I never expected to see in Tokyo; a pro-wrestling bar and grill!

I always thought that for the most part Japanese to do take to pro-wrestling well. I know that they have pro-wrestling but I assumed it was only a passing fancy for only the those who get really board. As it turns out the Japanese love pro-wrestling. They love it enough to have a bar and grill themed after the Hulk Hogan of Japanese pro-wrestling Antonio Inoki Sakaba!

The entrance to Antonio Inoki Sakaba Bar and Grill


I felt a little shock walking into the place. Hamed just had a look of a deer in head lights. I really think he was beside himself in the mist of such an odd but fun place. The entire place was pro-wrestling themed out to the max. When you enter they ring a fight bell just before taking you to your seats. The bar area is a wrestling ring; which adds to the charm of the place. The seating area I found to be interesting. Almost all the seating is just like the ring side tables which the announcers set at during a match. There were plenty of TV sets constantly showing Antonio Inoki Sakaba`s best fights. I got to see this guy take on the legend Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. Also, order the salad for some extra fun. Just trust me on that one.

The menu was very American style but themed for pro-wrestling. The oddest of the choices was a sausage on a hook. I do not know how that is connected to pro-wrestling but it sometimes better not to ask in Tokyo. I did not try any of the food myself, due to the fact I had a big lunch, so I cannot say if it is any good. Although, the beer selection is up to snuff. They actually have Coors! It is rare that I find any place in Tokyo which sells Coors. It is one of the best beers from America; a real treat for me for sure.

I really suggest checking this place out. It is something different and fun to do in Tokyo. It is really easy to find actually. When you arrive at Ikebukuro station exit the central east gate. After that, turn left and it is right beside the Big Camera shop. Have fun and let me know what you think of the place.

This is why you should order the salad